ART ENCOUNTERS CAZARMA U EXHIBITION DESIGN
AUTHORS: Mensing Timofticiuc Architects – Berlin; TAG Architecture – Bucureşti
PROJECT TEAM: Marius MENSING, Anca TIMOFTICIUC, Monica Despina Sache, Andrei Vitali Stanilă, Norbert Ianko
LOCATION: TIMISOARA, RO
PICTURES: NORBERT IANKO
Cazarma U, or the Wien Barracks how they were originally known as, were build in 1752. The building was a construction with two floors, closed on all sides and was located at the Northern limit of the fortress, right in front of the Wien Gate that lead the way to Szeged, Budapest and Wien.
The building was severely deteriorated during the 1849 siege. On the same spot, there were some new barracks with ground floor and two floors constructed, U-shaped and opened towards North, towards the Mărăşti Square. This new building becomes known as the Barracks Franz-Joseph until the 20th century when it became a deposit. In 2015 the Cazarma U is the largest exhibition space for the first edition of the Art Encounters art biennale. The intervention was minimal and focused on making the exhibition zone safe end usable. A white perimeter of benches was made by bricks creating a pure, calming ambient.